With another new year in full swing, a lot of resolutions are also rolling. One of the more common resolutions has to do with health and wellness. In that vein, it’s important to go to the doctor each year for an annual checkup. Many diseases or illnesses go undetected, simply because people don’t visit a doctor regularly. Type 2 diabetes is more prevalent than ever, and it’s important to check with your doctor if you are at risk. There are also a lot of myths floating around about type 2 diabetes that are just as important to know!
Common myths about type 2 diabetes:
1. “You would know if you had type 2 diabetes.”
How exactly would you know?
2. “Only people who’re overweight or obese have type 2 diabetes”
3. “Type 2 diabetes is only present in adults.”
You can be diagnosed at any age, even during childhood.
4. “Type 2 diabetes is caused by eating too much sugar.”
It occurs when the body becomes resistant to insulin.
5. “People with type 2 diabetes cannot have sugar.”
You just have to eat it within moderation, leading to a healthy diet.
6. “Everyone with type 2 diabetes needs to take insulin to stay healthy.”
There are oral medications that you can take, and some people can actually help with just diet and exercise.
7. “Type 1 is more common than type 2.”
Type 2 diabests is the most common, 90-90% of all diabetes cases.
8. “If you’ve been diagnosed to pre-diabetes, it will progress to type 2 diabetes.”
1/3 Americans has pre-diabetes which means blood sugar levels are higher than normal, but with help, you can make the necessary lifestyle changes.
9. “You’re only at risk if it runs in your family.”
It does increase if you have a parent or sibling who has type 2 diabetes, but you can still get it without history in the family.
10. “Type 2 diabetes isn’t that serious of an illness.”
It puts you at risk of heart disease and stroke, and also the leading cause of kidney failure.
October 10, 2018
Scientific Discovery In Astronomy A team of astronomers from around the world might have stumbled upon viewing a black...
Pope May Visit Pyongyang North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is planning to invite Pope Francis to visit the North...
Tech News With Google Plus Over the next ten months Google will be shutting down Google Plus, according to...
MASCOT Lands On Ryugu Asteroid Last Tuesday night, an observation robot landed on the asteroid Ryugu, with assistance from...